AMC Registration Guidelines

To work as a medical practitioner in Australia you must be registered with the AMC (Australian Medical Council) and also be registered with one of the Australian State Medical Boards.

Support2Health can assist with various pathways to registration:

  • AMC
  • Competent Authority Pathway
  • Standard Pathway (both)
  • Specialist Pathway

Australian Health Practitioners Regulatory Authority (AHPRA)

  • General
  • Specialist
  • Limited

College Applications

  • Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
  • Australasian College for Emergency Medicine
  • Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists
  • Australian College of Rural & Remote Medicine
  • Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
  • Royal Australasian College of Physicians
  • Royal Australian College of Ophthalmologists
  • College of Intensive Care Medicine
  • Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
  • Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Radiologists
  • Royal Australasian College of Surgeons

For more information about immigration and visas, please use the following link on the

Australian Department of Immigration’s website to find out about the 457 visa for medical practitioners:

English Language Test

An English Language Proficiency test is required for all international medical graduates who require registration in Australia.

Exemptions may apply when the applicant can provide evidence of secondary education in the UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the USA, where English is the native or first language.

Applicants will need to submit evidence to the relevant registration authority of competency in speaking and communicating in English as demonstrated by having completed the academic module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination (academic module) to the following standard:

The Board will require the applicant to have achieved a minimum score of seven in each of the four components

Alternative English proficiency tests that will be accepted are: a) A pass in the Occupational English Test (OET), b) A pass in the Professional Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) in the United Kingdom; or c) A pass in the English language proficiency component of the New Zealand Registration Examination (NZREX)

Results must have been obtained within two years prior to applying for registration

An IELTS (or approved equivalent) Test Report Form more than two years old will be accepted as evidence of present level of ability if accompanied by proof that a candidate has actively maintained employment as a medical practitioner in a country where English is the native or first language such as the UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the USA

Certificates of Good Standing

International medical graduates will require a Certificate of Good Standing from each Medical Board they have ever registered with. Note that these Certificates of Good Standing must be sent directly from the Licensing Authority to the Australian State Medical Board. You may not have these in your possession. The Medical Board in Australia will not accept faxed copies.